Wednesday, June 29, 2011

LiveARTS Bothell Reception Photos and New Work in Progress (WIP)

Here are a few photos of the Artists' Reception and Preview Party from last weekend at LiveARTS Bothell.   There was quite a crowd in the lobby. 


Wayne snapped this shot of me getting my award for First Place in Miniature for my work, Mister Pelican.  When I came back on Sunday after the show to pick up my work, I found out that it had sold!

Above, artists Eden Hopkins and Susan Jones in deep conversation. 
 
This fun photo was being taken at the same time by both Wayne Freeman and Ron Stocke, so we are all directing our eyes at two different cameras!  Starting left, Ursula Stocke, Josey Wise, Barbara Freeman, Janie Olsen and Eden Hopkins.  It was fun meeting up with everyone, all in the same place at the same time.  These talented artists all had work in the show.

What I'm Working on Now...
 
is another graphite and mixed media on film.  It has a female figure in the foreground with one of my fantasy trees behind her.  I have enclosed the image in a circle and will be adding color on the back side of the film, the border of the circle, her body color and the sphere.





I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with the central sphere she is holding.  I have a lot of ideas but I'll wait to see what she wants to do with it.  This drawing has taken a lot longer than I thought it would.  The tree is always the easiest part, the figure, not so easy for me.   Right now I am making some corrections to the arm and hand.  I may add something to the four corners, I haven't decided yet.  I like the vision so far.  I do have a competition in mind to enter it into if it's finished in time.  It may be a long shot as you never know if your work will fit the theme or if the juror will like it.  However, when I head about this show, I was inspired to create this new work with that goal in mind. To me the inspiration and creation of the work are what's important!  Until next time, thanks for taking the time to read about my work.  Enjoy your summer!

6 comments:

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

What a wonderful reception for you, first prize and you sold your piece. Enjoy the excitement. I love your new piece, it is coming along great.

Jane said...

What fun evening-hope many more to come!!! Your award--well deserved--but I am going to miss Mister pelican -- was hoping to view him with magnifying glass --Your new piece is going to be exquisite

Autumn Leaves said...

What a crowd indeed! Love this latest piece too, Barb. Delightful as always and I can't wait to see it finished. Love the circular format as well.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your photos. always great to see.
Congrats on the sale. The first place for Mr Pelican also.
I love the piece you are working on at the moment. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Unknown said...

I love how you do your trees Barbara - do you do them all from imagination. I just can't imagine doing that much detail, but I guess if they are easy for you, then you go into a meditative mode and just go for it. This one is looking magical like all in your nymph series :)

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Wendy, Janie, Sherry, Dors and Karen, thank you all so much. I was very happy to get the award and sale given that sales are down this year.

I'm glad you all like the new one so far. Meditative is good as long as I don't put myself to sleep!