Sunday, September 13, 2009

First Place! and Local Shows

Last night was the Artists' Reception at the 6th Annual Arts of Snohomish Gallery Juried Art Show. I had three miniatures, Buddha in the Pacific Northwest, Joey, and The Old Barn in this show, (this was the first year they included a miniature art catagory). It was a small show of carefully chosen works by two jurors, Trish Harding and Ted Pankowski. Even though it had been a very warm and beautiful day, the early evening heat didn't keep folks away from the show. It was a nice gathering of artists and friends, as well as people just dropping in from outside the street to see what the fuss was all about. The show was very eclectic with styles ranging from anime, sharp hyper-realism, loose flowing watercolors, soft focus pastels and everything in between including throughout the exhibit, a few 3 dimensional pieces.

Now the best news for me was that my work, Buddha in the Pacific Northwest took First Place in Miniatures!!! Yay! That was exciting for me and I was glad that this particular piece was given First Place. I had felt it was a strong piece from the time I created it and hoped it would reach out to others. The juror, Trish Harding said some good things about the work, she used the word, "fullness" when describing it.

It was great seeing friends and all the work in the show. I always enjoy the music, and the mix of friendly folks of all ages. This is a jewel of a gallery with many hard working artists that keep it running smoothly. The show continues through September 27th. Check it out and don't forget to view the miniatures up close.

Arts of Snohomish Gallery, downtown Snohomish, WA, 105 Cedar Avenue. For more information please call 306.568.8648.

Another local show I've had my work accepted in is the 2009 Arts of the Terrace, in Mountlake Terrace. I'll have three miniature pieces in this show, a new show for me. One of my miniatures and two of my larger works were rejected, so I'll be interested to see the look of the exhibit. My three miniature works in this show are, Moss and Mushrooms, Sunday Afternoon, and the new piece, acrylic on polymin, A Touch of Autumn. I'll be delivering these on Friday and will have more information on this exhibit later.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara so glad you had a good time that means a lot to me and Buddha deserved 1st for sure!!!!! Janie

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Thanks Janie. Wayne and I both had a good time. It was great seeing you AND your new work.

Mona Diane Conner said...

congrats Barbara!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Barbara!!!! I am so thrilled with you - it is always so motivating to reveive an accolade like that and you certainly deserve it!!!

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Thank you so much Mona and Karen.

Autumn Leaves said...

Congratulations on the win, Barbara! I know you really enjoy the art shows. It has been quite awhile since I've been to one. I shall have to get on board and see if I can find any local shows. I enjoy seeing the artists' works. Hoping you do very well at this next show too. Happy Anniversary to your inlaws!

Debra Keirce said...

Well deserved win Barbara! I started following your blog right around the time you finished that painting, and I remember commenting to my husband that I could tell you felt it was a winner...Somehow on these blogs, it just seems more obvious how an artist feels about their work.

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Thank you Autumn. Autumn, the shows are fun and you get to see others' work up close. It helps to meet others and know you aren't so alone in what you do.

Thank you Deb. I am so glad I have started blogging, even though it seems like a lot of work at times!! It's a good way to talk about the how's and why's I choose to do what I do. Plus, I get to meet other fun artists like all of you! : )

Carol Andre' said...

Oh, congratulations Barbara. Way to go, and thumbs up for your miniatures. So happy for you. I think blogging is the perfect way not only to show folks what, why, and how, but also let people get to know you a bit and what makes "an artist"! :-)

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Thanks Carol, and you are so right.