Friday, July 17, 2009

Second in a series, "Buddha in the Pacific Northwest"

I enjoyed creating the Buddha that I did for my daughter, (see the last post, Buddha in Austin, A Personal Altar) so while it was still fresh in my mind, I decided to do another one. The first one, 8"x 6"x 4", I consider a small work. This second work, however, I did as a miniature painting in acrylic on 4"x 4" claybord. I placed him in a Pacific Northwest landscape, adding a crow, (they are plentiful here) on a pathway. As with the first work, this Buddha is a medicine Buddha so I placed a tulip and an apple in his hands, both being symbols of the area for me.* When finished with the figure, I glazed gold paint on the skin and added metallic iridescent paint as a glowing effect around the body. I was happy with the way the dappled sunlight filtered through the trees. The path could be leading you into or away from the area. You interpret.


This miniature is framed in black and gold and is wired for hanging. The frame itself is 5 1/2" x 5 1/2". The framed image is 3 5/8"x 3 5/8". It is available on my secure website, Buddha in the Pacific Northwest for purchase. Just click on "add to my collection". This piece would enhance any meditation space, and would work well as a traveling altar. Be sure to follow my blog for updates. I always announce when any work is in a show. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Your comments are always appreciated.

(Please note, the framed image above is not as clear, nor the colors as brilliant as the actual image due to the shiny varnished finish of the surface and my photo abilities or lack therefo.)

* The first year after we moved here, my husband and I went to the Tulip Festival which is held in the spring in Skagit County, just north of here. Then in the fall we went to the Farm Tour, the same area, where we had a picnic in a beautiful apple orchard. It's such a lovely area to visit.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara---really like the Buddah's--Janie

Mona Diane Conner said...

Another lovely one. Nice idea for a series.

Debra Keirce said...

He's very peaceful looking Barbara.

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Thanks Janie, Mona and Deb. So far I only have one more Buddha at this time to share, which I hope to post on Mon. Actually, Deb, it's amazing when doing a spiritual subject how in the "creating" of it, that peace reflects back.