Thursday, July 23, 2009

New Miniature, "Rhodie" With Bee

Sometimes you find surprising beauty in places you forget to look. I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it before, but we don't particularly like the neighborhood we live in. It's near a commercial area, littered and noisy! I walk for exercise when I can and chanced to take my camera with me one day, (not something I normally do!). The flowers were blooming in a neighbor's yard and I thought the light on them was striking. Just when I was ready to click the camera, a bee buzzed inside one of the flowers. I am a bit leery of bees, one of my cousins died a few years ago by a bee sting. However, I was able to get several shots of the bee in the flower. When I downloaded the photo to my album, I saw how beautiful the bee was close-up. The wings were such an iridescent color! Another interesting thing I came across when doing a search to make sure I had my flower correctly identified, was that this flower is the Washington State Flower: Coast Rhododendron!

So because I happened to take my camera with me on a walk I normally find distasteful, I took a look closer at a flower, and observed a bee close up. From this I was able to create a thing of beauty that captured a moment in time.

"Rhodie" With Bee, Colored Pencil and Iridescent Acrylics on Acid-free Film, 2 3/4" x 3 3/4"

4 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

It's beautiful Barbara. I love all the nuances in the flower petals.

Debra Keirce said...

Yes, a thing of beauty it is! And thank you for your comments on my egg tempera, although I'm just a beginner in that media, and I'm not sure I have the patience of you and Mona, to keep going back to a piece for thin layers over the course of weeks and months. I like to work quickly, so I get a much different look than the purists who paint in tempera!

Unknown said...

I love this Barbara - it is so fascinating to see what you produce on drafting film - inspirational!!

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Thanks Mona, Deb and Karen. Sorry I've not responded sooner, my computer was being cleaned up and upgraded. It was the striking color and light shifts that caught my attention on the flower, Mona. I'm glad I was able to achieve some of that. I love working on the drafting film, Karen. I was a little worried some of the colors would bleed when I fixed them, but Prismacolor fix worked just fine. Also, maybe the process red and some of the other colors are more stable now than they used to be. Deb, I may be patient, but I'm not sure about how patient I'll be when trying the egg tempra. I sure wish I'd find a window of time to try it though. Too many deadlines getting in the way. I'll be sure to post something when I do though. I'll probably need some help, too!