Thursday, January 14, 2010

Miniature Art Society of Florida Show Opens and Other News

This weekend the 35th Annual International Miniature Art Show opened. I have five miniature works in this show, (you can see them in this blog post). I heard that sales were doing really well at last night's Collectors Preview and Artists' Reception. I hope several of them were mine! The show opens to the public today at 1PM to 5Pm. The show runs from January 17th through February 7th, 2010 at the Leepa-Rattner Museum of Art, 600 Klosterman Road, Tarpon Springs, FL. This is the largest miniature art show in the country and one I would love to attend. There are 850 works of art from 221 artists, in addition to the society’s permanent collection of more than 100 miniatures. There are magnifying glasses available for the complete enjoyment of these small treasures. Entries are from 33 states and 11 countries!

Other news...the prospectus is now online for Parklane Gallery's 18th Annual Miniature Art Show, in Kirkland, WA, at www.parklanegallery.com.

Also, another great miniature art show coming up is at Seaside Art Gallery in Nags Head, NC. You can find their prospectus for the 19th International Miniature Art Show on their website, at www.seasideart.com. I am planning to have work in both of these shows and will be blogging about them in the near future.

I have a new painting to share soon and another one in process. I'm sorry I've not been able to share much due to my trackball (mouse) causing me problems. I am using a loaner until my new one arrives on Tuesday. This one is different and like my new one, so I'm having to retrain my thumb! Now back to painting!

8 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Good luck in all of these shows, Barbara! I thought of you yesterday when one of the blogs I read posted a silverpoint piece that she had done. Unfortunately, I can't comment on her blog as I am not a member of that blog server, but still and yet, I enjoy seeing her works. Looking forward to seeing what you have next!

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Thanks. I noticed that Karen Hull refers to you as Sherry. Is this correct or should I continue to address you as Autumn? Anyway, I'm happy that you have been so supportive and thanks for your comments. I am back to working in acrylic now, but looking forward to doing another silverpoint. I know I get a lot of people looking at my blog posts on silverpoint and the tools I used. I hope it is helpful.

Unknown said...

The best of luck in these exhibitions Barbara. I am amazed at how many Miniature Exhibitions are held in the states - if we had that many in Australia, it would provide more incentive to work in miniature all the time, and also increase the public knowledge and interest in miniatures, but sadly, we only have one or two a year.

Debra Keirce said...

Barbara, I think I heard that you've already sold some pieces in FL. Congratulations! Your work is amazing, and I hope you do wonderfully with all of your shows!

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Thanks Karen. I am really happy to have so many shows to enter. There are even smaller shows and summer festivals locally that have a miniature category. They use looser rules for miniatures, but are still fun to enter.

Thanks Deb. I have only heard of one sale so far. I hope there are more and we all get lots of sales!

Unknown said...

Good for you Barbara--glad you are having sales---and wow the local shows are just around the corner---hope I can something done! I am wondering what the new piece is that you are almost done with? Was it one of the ones you were working on when I visited your studio!!! Well I am anxious to see

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Thanks Janie! Yes, I know, they are coming up so soon and I have so much to do! Yes, you did see the two I'm talking about. One is finished and the other I'm still working on. Hope your cupid cat is almost finished! Can't wait to see your latest egg tempera.

Autumn Leaves said...

Congrats on the sale(s), Barbara! That must feel so good. Not that anyone would want to buy my feeble attempts, but if they did it would be so hard to let them go! All are like my kids! LOLOL AutumnLeaves is my screen name; real name is Sherry so either works for me. Whichever you are most comfortable with. And yes, your silverpoint tutorials are wonderful and inspirational!