Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Snowy Owls and Sandhill Cranes, Oh My!

 Snowy Visitor  © Barbara A. Freeman, M.A.A.
Acrylic on True Gesso  7 5/8" x 9 5/8"  Small Works Category

 My two new works, both acrylic paintings, were inspired from our trips to view a couple of the bird sightings and migrations this year.  When we first learned about the irruption of the Snowy Owls, Wayne and I made a trip to a couple of local birding spots to have a look.  The snowys were there, but too far away to see well and impossible for us to photograph.  Then we heard that Boundary Bay in Vancouver, BC was THE place to view these beautiful visitors.  It was a wonderful drive up to the border that following weekend and we found the turn-off road to the trail.  It was easy to know we were in the right place as folks were set up with all their photo equipment and other looking devices all along the trail.  It was amazing to see the snowys so close!  We also saw some northern harriers, eagles, lots of herons, and short eared owls.  It was a beautiful day and experience!

A Walk in the Woods   © Barbara A. Freeman, M.A.A.
Acrylic on Gessobord  3 5/8"  x 3 5/8" Fine Art Miniature

I read that the Sandhill Cranes pass through the Jasper-Pulaski Fish & Wildlife Area in Indiana during their migration in the fall and spring.  Jasper Pulaski is a short drive from my in-laws home in Indiana.  The larger migration happens in the fall, but since we were going to be there in March, we thought it would be a fun thing to checkout.  On the day we went, we headed out early, but thought we were going to be disappointed as there was no one about but a red winged blackbird.  It was cold so we decided to go back to the car and drive around a bit.  After slowly driving down a couple of side roads, we finally spotted a few.  The two that inspired my painting were almost missed, they blended so well with their environment!   Sandhill Cranes are such graceful birds and I was so excited we were able to see the few we did.  We will be traveling back again in the fall.  We ARE planning on adding the short trip to Jasper-Pulaski Fish & Wildlife Area to view the fall migration.  Hopefully we will have more photo opportunities this time.  Regardless, we always have a great time being out together and taking photographs of whatever catches our fancy.  Early February, we also attended the Eagle Festival that is held each year in Arlington.  Great time for birding, it was exciting to see five eagles sitting all in the same tree! Bringing birds into my artwork adds another stretch for me.  I like that!

I am not blogging as often as I did previous years.  I will, however, continue blogging about new work and the shows I'm in as they happen.  To me it is a great way to document my work.  I know time is precious, therefore, thank you for taking your time to read about my work.  July 4th is tomorrow, and our summer here in the Pacific Northwest will begin on the 5th of July!  We are planning our hikes and hopefully a visit from our daughter, Gina!  It's going to be a great summer!  Wishing you a great summer and a Happy 4th!!


2 comments:

Clovie Boy said...

Hello Barbara! Your new paintings are wonderful - the background sky color looks great!

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Hi Sue, Thanks! Hope you and Clovie Boy have a great summer!