Friday, March 31, 2017

A Safe Haven - Twitter Art Exhibit - Stratford upon Avon UK - April 1st


A Safe Haven © Barbara A. Freeman, M.A.A.
 4 3/4"6 1/4" - (16x12 cm)  Graphite on Paper

Back in November I got some new paper to try out around the same time I saw the "call to artists" for the Twitter Art Exhibit. The call was for a postcard size original art, image only requiring no framing.  It was for the charity, Molly Olly's Wishes and was being held in Stratford upon Avon in the UK. (map) I worked on the drawing, liked the way it turned out and sent it off.  Because of this, several new things occurred.  I opened a twitter account, I tried out new paper, I sent my work to the UK, and I donated a work to a good cause!  It was fun and though larger than my usual miniatures, done in the same style I usually work.  The drawing I sent was, A Safe Haven.  The exhibit wall my postcard is on can be see here...A Safe Haven.  There are 1024 cards by artists from 62 countries in the show! I'm excited to be a part of this!

TwitterArtExhibit happens every year and is held in different countries for different charities.  Their motto is, “Through art we can change the world.”

#TwitterArtExhibit utilizes social media and public engagement to generate income for charities and nonprofit organizations.
• Artists worldwide donate postcard-sized, handmade original artwork to the #TAE17.
TwitterArtExhibit organizes a local, physical showcasing of the art.
• The public is invited to buy the art at an affordable, flat price.
• 100% of proceeds go to the charity.
• This provides artists with new exhibition opportunities, new audiences and benefactors, and appeals to art enthusiasts all over the world.
• It’s fun!

Opening Night Preview  - April 1st in Stratford upon Avon.  ALL the proceeds from the sale of the cards go directly to the charity. If you are attending the sale and plan on buying any art, please bring CASH.  (Cost of cards - £30 each of 4 for £100).
This event is FREE. Light refreshments available.

The TAE17 Exhibition will run April 2-19 at The ArtsHouse, 14 Rother Street, Stratford upon Avon. 10:00-4:00.

The charity, Molly Olly’s Wishes supports children with terminal or life threatening illnesses and their families.

The new paper is Stillman and Birn, Zeta Series, a wonderful heavyweight smooth paper.  I really like the way graphite glides across the paper and I can get dark, sharp details.  The paper is easy, the twitter account, not so much!  I'm still learning my way around twitter! I hope if you are in the UK you will check out the show!  

Working on finishing up my miniatures for the Seaside Art Gallery's annual miniature show in North Carolina and working on a larger work for the Art of the Garden show at the Schack in Everett. Thank you for taking the time to read about my work.  Happy Spring!

No comments: