Friday, June 12, 2015

2015 58th Annual Edmonds Arts Festival


This weekend I'll be delivering my work for the 58th Annual Edmonds Arts Festival! My selected entry, Transformations is a new mixed media piece from my Fantasy Trees Series

The Edmonds Arts Festival is a three day fun filled event that takes place over Fathers' Day Weekend, June 19th - 21st, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Frances Anderson Cultural Center, 700 Main Street in beautiful downtown Edmonds, WA. (map)  The Edmonds Arts Festival is one of the longest running in the Northwest, attracting artists from across the nation.  There are artists booths outside along with performing arts and children's activities and yummy food.  My work will be in the Juried Gallery Show which is INSIDE the Frances Anderson Center.  There are different rooms exhibiting the juried work, the main gallery where my work is located, you'll find, paintings, drawings and miniature art.  Don't miss the photography and artisan work which is located in rooms a few steps up.  Also, you can find the excellent student art show downstairs. Don't miss out on a fun weekend!  Bring Dad along, too!  All artwork is for sale.  Remember, art makes a fine Fathers' Day Gift!  Happy Fathers' Day to all you Fathers out there!

Transformations  © Barbara A. Freeman
 Graphite and Mixed Media on Claybord  10"x 8"

Transformations was done on an Ampersand Claybord Art Panel which is a very smooth, hard surface that is great for the fine detail and texture that I love doing.  The tree was drawn in graphite.  I used metal leaf for the sparkly bits and acrylic for the color.  I used a mix of adding and subtracting marks and paint to achieve the background to give it some depth and mystery. The sparkly bits could be fireflies or moths or anything you want them to be.  I love the things that take place underground, the metamorphosis of all the life that goes on below us.

Transformations © Barbara A. Freeman
Graphite and Mixed Media on Claybord 10"x 8"

As always, thank you for taking the time to read about my work.  I have been going through many life challenges and changes in the last few years.  I have not been able to spend as much time in my studio as I would like but when I do, it is a sanity saver.  I am so grateful when I put pencil or brush to a surface.  It takes me to a quiet place to be transformed. 

2 comments:

Debra Keirce said...

Looks like it will be a wonderful show! Have a very successful show and a wonderful time!

Debra Keirce said...

Have a super successful show Barbara!!