Thursday, August 29, 2013

Shows in September

It's going to be a busy September!  First off, I'm happy to say that my entry She Weeps was juried in to the 3rd Annual ICON show at Hanson Scott Gallery, 121 Prefontaine Pl S, in Seattle's Pioneer Square.  (map)  The First Thursday Artwalk is happening on September 5th, from 5 to 8 PM.  Also, on September 14th there will be an Awards Reception, from 5 to 7 PM.  The Hanson Scott Gallery is open Wednesday through Saturday, 11 to 5.

I will be attending the show and Artwalk on September 5th.  I hope you'll stop by to say hello and check out this eclectic show with the many interpretations depicting the theme,  ICON.  It's sure to be fabulous and the Pioneer Square Artwalk is always a fun thing to do!
She Weeps  © Barbara A. Freeman
Graphite and Mixed Media on Claybord  8" x 10"
She Weeps is a new work on claybord using graphite and carbon pencil with just a bit of added color using colored pencil and acrylic paint .  I have been wanting to explore drawing on different substrates.  It was different working on a surface this hard, especially after using the gliding buttery-ness of film.  This one almost ended up in the reject pile until my order for some carbon pencils arrived.  It was just what I needed in my drawing, some dramatic darks!  I was impressed with the amount of darkness I could add to the already saturated area of graphite.  I'm happy with it now and may even use the claybord again with graphite, only this time I'll use the carbon for my darkest places. I am even thinking I would like to go larger next time! As usual, the forest was inspired by one of our many great hikes here in the Pacific Northwest!

 
I'm so happy to announce that Janie Olsen and I are doing a show together titled, Charmed, at Wise Design in September!  I will be exhibiting my works of mermaid, fairies, wood nymphs and a few of my trees, many works from the series, Wood Nymphs and Other Curiosities.  I know that Janie Olsen will have all of my favorites of her fabulous pieces in the show!  This is a great opportunity to see many of my works together side by side.  I usually only have a few at a time in any one show.  It will be exciting to be to be showing them all together as a group AND alongside Janie Olsen's imaginative work!!

Charmed Art Exhibit -  September 2013 at Wise Design 2908 Wetmore Ave Everett, WA Reception at the Everett Artwalk - Third Saturday, September 21st, 2013 from 4 to 7.  I'll be in attendance so come by and say hi.  Hope you will be "Charmed" by our work!

**Please note, I am having a lot of problems writing this because Blogger keeps adding code that messes up the format!  I have spent more time than it should have taken to write this and was very happy to share my news with you, only to have ended up becoming very frustrated!!   I do hope this turns out readable and I do thank you for taking the time to read about my work. 

3 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

Hi Barbara, She Weeps is such an intriguing piece, and I am so excited for you and Janie doing a show together! I've imagined it in my mind already, and here it almost is!!! I so wish I could view the show in person, and congratulations to you and to Janie also!! All the best.

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Hi Mona,
Thank you so much for your kind words. Janie and I are often in some of the same shows, but this will be so much more. I have 11 pieces, and I think Janie has even more. Wish you could come too! All the best to you!

Jane said...

Thanks Barbara and Mona!!! I am looking forward to being in show with Barbara--my son went by looked at it yesterday and said it looks great :)